top of page



You will be required to show your original license, a valid international driver's permit and your passport when renting a car through us.  Please be aware that it is not possible to drive in Japan with just your driving license issued in your home country.  You must have the international driver permit booklet with you.  Digital copies, paper copies, photos are not valid, even if issued by the legal issuing entity of your country.

To drive a vehicle legally in Japan, you will one of the following:


Anyone with a valid Japanese drivers license will be eligible to rent a car through White Fox Car Rental.

2. INTERNATIONAL DRIVERS PERMIT based on the 1949 Geneva Convention

An International Driver's Permit, only if it is obtained through one of the countries listed below. Please be careful that countries such as Indonesia and China are not signatories of the 1949 Geneva Convention as International driver's permits are not valid.


Algeria, Benin, Botswana, Burkina, Central African Republic, Congo, Côte d'Ivoire, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Egypt, Faso, Ghana, Leone, Lesotho, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Morocco, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Rwanda, Senegal, Sierra, South Africa, Togo, Tunisia, Uganda, Zimbabwe


Argentina, Barbados, Canada, Chile, Cuba, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Guatemala, Haiti, Jamaica, Paraguay, Peru, Tobago, Trinidad, United States of America, Venezuela



Bangladesh, Cambodia, India, Laos, Malaysia, Philippines, Republic of Korea, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Thailand


Albania, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Georgia, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Kyrgyzstan, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, Montenegro, Netherlands, Northern Ireland, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Republic of Lithuania, Romania, Russian Federation, San Marino, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom of Great Britain, Vatican



Cyprus, Israel, Jordan, Lebanon, Syrian Arab Republic, Turkey, United Arab Emirates



Australia, Fiji, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea


Aruba, Cayman Islands, Curacao, French Overseas Territories (French Polynesia, Gibraltar, Guernsey, Hong Kong, Isle of Man, Jersey, Macau, Puerto Rico, Saint Martin, Territories of the United States (Guam,etc.),etc.)

NOTE: You will need to carry your driver's license used to obtain your International Drivers Permit at all times while driving in Japan


3. A VALID DRIVERS LICENSE from these select countries: 

France, Belgium, Germany, Monaco, Slovenia, Switzerland and Taiwan with a government approved translation of the license.

Japanese Government approved authorities are as follows:


a. The license-issuing authority, or the embassy or consulate of the issuing country.

b. The Japan-Taiwan Relations Association (for Taiwanese license holders).

c. The Japan Automobile Federation (JAF).


You are allowed to drive with such foreign licenses for a maximum of one year from the date of your entry into Japan.

PLEASE NOTE: We ask that you show one of the above licenses, your valid international driver's permit booklet and your passport, at the time of renting. If you do not have the proper licensing, we can not rent out the car to you, and there will be no refunds issued.

Cancellation Policy:  Due to high demand, bookings are non-refundable.

bottom of page